ZEELAND YOUTH DANCE COMPANY (ZYDC)
The Zeeland Youth Dance Company is an auditioned ensemble for 5th-12th graders that provide opportunities for experienced dancers to learn and perform choreography throughout the community. ZYDC members show a strong love of dance, and a passion for sharing dance with others. ZYDC produces several performances annually amd also performs in various community events such as parades and the Grand Rapids Art Festival. To become a part of ZYDC, dancers go through an audition process to become a part of the company, and rehearse weekly in addition to participating in required technique classes. To register, click here or call at (616) 748-3230.
- Auditions: Wed, June 20 | 5th-8th Graders: 5-7pm | 9th-12th Graders: 7-9pm | @ Zeeland Recreation
- Audition Form: ZYDC Audition Form 18-19
- Audition Fees: Registration for auditions opens on February 20, 2018 | $15 if you register on or before June 9 | $20 if you register between June 11-19 | $25 if you register on audition day (June 20)
- The ZYDC Camp (required of all members): August 13-17. Small group rehearsals begin the week of August 20th. Times and cost will be announced along with the acceptance letter into ZYDC after auditions.
- 2017-18 Company Packet
- ZYDC Banquet: Monday, June 18 | 6:30-8:30pm | Zeeland East HS Cafeteria
- Auditions: Wed, June 20 | 5th-7th Graders: 5-7pm | 8th-12th Graders: 6:30-9pm | @ Zeeland Recreation
- The ZYDC Camp (required of all members): August 13-17 | Small group rehearsals begin the week of August 20th. Times and cost will be announced along with the acceptance letter into ZYDC after auditions.
Photo Credit: Andrew Weller
MEET OUR DANCE INSTRUCTORS
Rachel Plaggemars, Instructor
Rachel earned her BA in dance performance and choreography with an emphasis in education from Hope College. While at Hope, she performed extensively, the highlight being two seasons touring with Strike Time Dance Company, an ensemble aimed at educating K-5th grade students about the art of dance. She is now in her 15th year of teaching at Zeeland Recreation. She has enjoyed expanding an offering of high quality pre-school and introductory courses into a comprehensive program that includes advanced beginning and intermediate classes. Ms. Plaggemars emphasizes on ballet training as a foundation for well-rounded dancers and has loved watching her students grow technically and artistically through the program.
Cydney Sheneman, Instructor
Cydney graduated from Hope College with her BA in dance and religion education. While at Hope, Cydney was involved in the Sacred Dance Ministry, Sigma Omicron, and a winner of the Florence Cavanaugh award. She has choreographed for, and performed in various student dance concerts at Hope, and has also presented choreography at Hope’s Veritas Forum. Cydney has been teaching at Zeeland Recreation for eight years, and is involved in the Zeeland High School Dance Program. Over the years, she has enjoyed watching her students grow in technique, stage presence, and artistry. Cydney enjoys helping students to not only learn a variety of dance genres and styles, but to also create their own works of movement art.