DIFFERENCE BETWEEN “LITTLE LEAGUE” AND “RECREATION” BASEBALL
We often get asked whether you should sign up your child for “recreation” or “Little League” baseball. To help with your decision, here is some information:
- Little League baseball has more practices, games and is more of a time commitment
- Little League baseball ranges in age from 7-14 years old
- Recreation baseball are less of a time commitment and more of an “introduction” to baseball or softball
- Recreation baseball ranges in age of Kindergarteners – 4th graders
- 7-9 year olds can choose Little League baseball or Recreation baseball. The choice should be made based on whether or not your child loves the game, has any experience, and wants to commit more or less time.
Co-Ed “Toddler Tee Ball” (4-5 year olds | June 5-29 OR August 1-31 | $25)
This is a co-ed league for 4-5 year olds and a parent(s)/guardian(s), with two separate sessions options (one in June, one in August). Each team has one game per week at 6pm or 7pm at Adams Elementary Fields between Monday and Thursday. Each participant will play tee ball with a parent, which means parents will be in the field and at bat with their child. The goal is to have parents shadow their child every step of the way. In order to enroll, a parent(s)/guardian(s) must be able to attend all practices and games with their child. Registration includes a t-shirt. Registration opens February 14, 2017. To register, click here or call (616) 748-3230.
- June 5-29 Session Mandatory Parent Meeting: Wed, May 31, 6pm @ Adams Elementary Fields
- August 1-31 Session Mandatory Parent Meeting: Wed, July 26, 6pm @ Adam Elementary Fields
Recreation Baseball (K – 4th grade | April – mid June | $30)
Practices start in April at the coach’s discretion, with games starting in May and running until approximately mid-June. Players will play one game per week. Games are played Mondays through Fridays. League designations are listed below. Registration closes on Sat, March 4. To register, click here or call (616) 748-3230.
- Kindergarteners: T-Ball
- 1st-2nd Graders: Coach Pitch
- 3rd-4th Graders: Machine Pitch
Zeeland Baseball Camp (3rd-9th Graders | June 12-15 | $50)
Led by Adam Locker, Zeeland West Varsity Baseball Coach, this camp will focus on improving baseball knowledge and skills while providing a fun experience for developing athletes. Zeeland West baseball coaches and players will provide instruction and coaching. This camp is open to all players entering 3rd-9th grades who want to have fun and further develop their baseball skills and knowledge. All participants will receive a t-shirt. The camp takes place June 12-15 at Jim Kaat Baseball Park (3rd-6th graders) and Zeeland West Varsity Baseball Field (7th-9th graders). 3rd-4th graders: 12:30pm-1:45pm. 5th-6th graders: 2pm-3:45pm. 7th-9th graders: 9:30am-11:30am. Registration opens February 14, 2017. To register, click here or call (616) 748-3230.
Zeeland Little League Baseball
For information on the 2017 Zeeland Little League Baseball & Softball programs, click here. Registration for the 2017 season closed on February 11th, 2017. For late registration, contact Kelli Koss at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616)748.3232.
Winter Baseball Clinic (7-14 yr olds | Saturdays in Feb, 2018 | Zeeland East HS Gym | $55)
This program is designed to help participants improve baseball knowledge and skills before the Zeeland Recreation Little League ability testing dates. This program is open to all boys and girls ages 8-13 years old who want to have fun and develop their skills during the winter. All participants will receive a t-shirt. Program size is limited. This clinic runs on Saturdays February 4-25 in the Zeeland East High School Main Gym. Times vary by age. Registration will open in August, 2017.